Monday, May 2, 2011

Laura's Critique on a Historic Moment


















They say it will be one of those moments where you will remember exactly where you were when you found out. I was working on my spanish presentation, I checked my email, and there it was Osama Bin Laden Dead. I didn't even realize what a big deal it was at first, but the whole college and in the whole world seemed to be celebrating.

Half the house gathered around the TV in the basement to watch Obama speak.

Something like 300 students gathered in front of the John Harvard statue to sing "God Bless America," "Ten Thousand Men of Harvard," "Na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye," the Mexican Hat Dance, and other relevant and appropriate songs.

Yet, to celebrate death, no matter how awful the man was, makes me uncomfortable. While I think this is an event that will bring many closure, there is a difference between accepting the need to take life to secure our nation, and reveling in it. I don't see much dignity in delighting in death. I am thankful that such a man will no longer be able to help harm people, but I worry excessive patriotism may only worsen tensions. To make a martyr out of Osama is the last thing we want to do. I want to celebrate justice, and the brighter future this will hopefully bring, not the event of killing itself. Celebrate justice, not death.

On a lighter note, I find it hilarious that apparently, people can't keep our president and the most wanted terrorist in the world straight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMP7Ys57ha4&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment