Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Day of Classes


So far, there have been about 100 orphans here at Wema, because the school was on holiday, and here, the school year starts at the same time as the new year. However, it reopened today, and 300 more children, wjo have a home to go to, came today and will be coming in the next few days. There are mostly the paying children, who help the orphans who live at Wema with their tuition.


In the morning, we met with the teachers, and tomorrow we will sit in on classes. I will be going to two classes. I will be a student in Swahili class, and I will help instruct English.


The hit of the day was definitely Musical Chairs. We used the bark of sugarcane for markers for chairs and blasted music through our Ipod speakers, and the kids loved it. They picked up the came right away, and a whole crowd gathered to watch and cheer on the players. It is amazing how excited the kids get about little things like a new ball or learning a new game. It makes you realize the joys of small things all over again.


We went into town to buy water and internet, and on the way back we carried the water on my head, or at least tried... I'll get better :)


A new experience for me, was I got to see a newborn calf! They called us over, and told us one of their cows was calfing! We didn't see the actual birth, but as the sun went down, we rushed over to see the cow licking her newborn. They only get about one calf a year, so we felt pretty special.


My athletic Harvard friends have decided to go on a 5 mile run every day through town, so I thought I'd give it a try today. Running through town was so fun. Everyone waved and cheered us on, and we said hello to hundreds of people as we ran by. Then, we ran out of town and down a hill along the sugarcane fields blowing in the gentle breeze. It would have been beautiful, if I weren't dying trying to keep up with two marathon runners! Maybe I'll just stay and play with the kids tomorrow.


At bedtime, we read the kids stories and fell exhausted into our own beds.


Until Tomorrow,


Laura






No comments:

Post a Comment