Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 5

































Hey!

Our internet has been spotty, so I haven't been able to send pictures.

Today we went to Beijing #4 High School, one of the best high schools in China. It was a very interesting contrast to what we have been seeing at Dandelion School. The way education works in China is that after middle school all students take an exam and the best scoring students get to go to school like Beijing #4. It is a public school and is free, as long as you get the scores to get in, and wow, I can see why students put so much effort and focus on education. This high school was really something else. From backlights for blackboards, oscilloscopes, lcd big screens in each classroom and huge statues on the campus, these students were getting an incredible education. Many of the students had almost no accent. However, it didn't look like my kind of place. In general, creativity and originality is not really valued in school, and I don't think I would have done nearly as well if I had grown up and gone to school in China. (Check out the nerdy clock in the picture. It is one of those with math problems for each number). The other picture is of Molly and I standing next to an ancient huge Chinese instrument at the school. Note that Molly and I are the same height. So is Elizabeth. Thus, all the white girls are HUGE! We get a lot of stares...


No comments:

Post a Comment