Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 7





















































The Great Wall was pretty amazing to say the least. It is one of the seven wonders of the world! The great Chairman Mao said that you are not a real person until you have climbed the great wall, so I guess my life starts today! We took a cable car to the top and the view was really cool! I also bought a ridiculous but amazingly warm and fuzzy black hat.

I couldn't believe how steep the wall was! It was almost a 45 degree ramp in places, and everyone from young babies to men in their 80s and 90s were there to see the wall. When we reached the top point, a middle aged woman came up to me and asked for a photo. I said "sure." Of course she wanted a picture of herself next the the Great Wall. However, when I asked for her camera, she looked confused. Then I realized. She didn't want a picture of her next to the Great Wall at all. Here we were at the 7th wonder of the world and she wanted a picture with me. Everywhere I went people took pictures and asked to take pictures with me. I learned that in ancient china, yellow was a color reserved only for royalty, so I was told that it was lucky i wasn't there a few hundred years ago or they would have chopped off all my hair.

We also went to a pearl factory and we got to see how pearls are made. They opened up an oyster for us to show us and there were over 20 pearls inside! We saw tai-chi in local parks, and we tried all sorts of amazing food at a beautiful night market. The night scene is fantastic! Beautiful lanterns are hung everywhere and there are little shops selling everything imaginable cheap and factory-made, and you have to haggle to get a reasonable deal. We tried sugar coated fruit, stinky tofu, and strange drinks of all sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment