Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gum Wall and Pike Place Market

Did you know there is an entire wall in downtown Seattle where everyone sticks their used gum? I didn't! I don't know how I lived 20 years here, and never discovered such a unique and fascinating, (if slightly unsanitary) place. It is located to the left of the entrance to Pike Place Market, but instead of entering the market you walk down a hill toward the water. After your eyes adjust to the light, you will see gum EVERYWHERE! There is even a gum ball machine, so my freshman year roommate Ivet and I put in 25 cents for a gum-ball and left our DNA on the wall.

All together, I think I haven't spent enough time at Pike Place. It is so much more than just flying fish and trinkets. From dreadlocks and tie-dyed mohawks to local artists and musicians, it really symbolizes the unique flavor of funky Seattle, and it made me realize again what a cool city Seattle is.

No comments:

Post a Comment