Thursday, June 23, 2011

Tail of Goat


Hey! Sorry I haven't ben in contact. There have been a lot of problems with electricity all over Tanzania. Nearly the whole electrical system is hydroelectric, and the rainfalls have been very little this year, leaving a lot of electricity problems. I also don't have wireless at my host family.

Host family- They are awesome, but the first day was quite the experience. Everyone else has someone else to stay with, and I was already a bit overwhelmed when my host dad came to get me.

The first day at dinner my father says to me that three years ago his father had died, and so by tradition of his tribe they slaughtered a goat. "We in the Mchaga tribe love meat" he says. He was sorry that I missed the festivities of the slaughter, but for a mostly vegetarian, I wasn't too sad :) Then, he explained that they had saved the tail of the goat, and with great pride they carried out on the platter what looked like the whole rear end of a goat with the tail sticking up out of the top! "You as our guest will have the first piece," my host father said. "It is a great honor." Worst of all, I really hate goat. I have never ben able to stomach the taste. So, I hesitatingly took a small piece. It wasn't terrible, but I explained that I was very very very VERY full when they asked if I would like more.

I have a 20 year old sister, and two brothers, one with 9 years and the other with 18. The 9 year old is still pretty scared of me and really quiet, but everyone is really nice.

School has started, and so far a lot of it is review, but I am definitely picking up lots of new vocabulary, and in the afternoon we go on excursions and talk to native speakers, so it is very good practice.

Best of all, yesterday, I was in the library when someone called my name. I turned around, and there was a couple standing there who looked very familiar. I couldn't quite figure out why for a split second, and then I realized it was my teacher and her husband from Harvard! They were in Arusha and they had come just to visit me! I was so happy and excited! It was wonderful.

The Internet is being slow, so I've uploaded a few pictures to Facebook instead of to Blogger. There is one of me showing a newspaper to a Tanzanian who wanted to read his horoscope, and then there is one of my friend Heather and I. During class, we were talking about question words, so I asked her to marry me, so the picture is of our engagement (Note the matching dresses).

Bye for now from Tanzania!

-Laura



No comments:

Post a Comment