Friday, September 10, 2010

A Busy Day

Day 17
Sept. 8, 2010

Wednesday is a busy day for classes, but it was fun too. I love statistics. We use clickers so that the whole class answers questions and it is very interactive. This unit is about love, and we learned about how to get data for sensitive questions. We had to answer if we had ever cheated in a relationship, and at first hardly anyone said yes, even though it was anonymous. Then, we learned about a better method. We were all told to privately flip a coin, and if we got heads we said yes no matter what, and if we got tails we answered truthfully if we had ever cheated. Using this method, we got a much more accurate responses (after some basic math) because there was no way to tell if you were answering yes because you had cheated or because you had gotten heads. It was great!

Today I also talked less Swahili in Spanish class, and African Studies seems good too. We all had to sign release forms because we are going to be in an educational documentary about the African Studies department. It is a bit scary, though, because if you ask a question the camera points straight at you!

We had a fancy dinner for sophomores and people really dressed up! I had to go back and change because I was underdressed in my beach dress. That's my picture! Note my amazing still- sunburned back... A neat pattern, though!

After dinner I saw Matthew and we watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"- a very scary graphic foreign movie. It was interesting and disturbing to say the least!



No comments:

Post a Comment